Welcome to St. Patrick's Catholic Church in beautiful and historic Apalachicola, Florida. Apalachicola, an Indian word meaning "Friendly People," is located at the mouth of the Apalachicola River, separated from the Gulf of Mexico by the Apalachicola Bay and a series of islands which includes St. Vincent, St.George, and Dog Island.
Our parish was established as a mission in 1833 but its first Mass was celebrated by Bishop John Jaures in 1527 while traveling with the Narvaez Expedition.
Our Vision Statement: "We are a community and Christian family united by our faith in Jesus Christ, Our Lord, having been called since Baptism to share his mission to spread the Word of God through ministry to one another in a spirit of love and unity."
Come join us!
A Brief History
Nestled in a small corner of the Florida coastline, a small group of Catholic families dreamed of a church to call their own. At the suggestion of Father Patrick Coffey, these families came together and named their parish St. Patrick. In 1851, a board of trustees donated $4,700 (or roughly $120,000 today) to build a new church. Though the cornerstone was blessed in 1851 by Bishop Portier, the building itself was not completed until the summer of 1852, due to a hurricane and lack of funds.
Father Dominic Manucy became St. Patrick's first permanent pastor, with 35 priests serving throughout the last century.
Just before the Civil War began in 1861, the congregation decided to build a more stable structure. One year later, when St. Michael the Archangel Church in Pensacola burned down, St. Patrick became the only remaining Catholic church in West Florida. In the early 20th century, under the leadership of Father Michael J. Keyes with his parish of 100 families, the current building in its Italian Romanesque style was completed.
Today, Father Roger Latosynski serves as pastor to a dedicated congregation of around 80 families. However, during the summertime St. Patrick can see a rise to as many as 300-350 families.
Most Rev. Gregory L. Parkes was ordained to the episcopacy and installed as the Fifth Bishop of Pensacola-Tallahassee on June 5, 2012, having been appointed to the position by His Holiness, Pope Benedict XVI, on March 20, 2012.
St. Patrick Catholic Church P.O. Box 550 • 27 Sixth Street Apalachicola, Florida 32329 Phone: 850.653.9453 • Fax: 850.653.4528 Email Us: email@example.com